Deputy for Electrified Aircraft Propulsion Integration Joe Connolly

NASA

• Publishers
grc-2023-c-10506-1.jpg?w=2048

“The goal is to get as many of the wrong ideas out of the way as early as possible. 

“So we’ll come up with some idea, especially on the research side, and sometimes it will seem really brilliant on the napkin or in a conversation with one other person. 

“[When I started working on electric aircraft propulsion,] I was not familiar with all of the electrical ins and outs. I thought power would just be available, and I could use it when I wanted it. [Our concepts had] all these little hiccups — how they get integrated in the real system, how the battery systems are going to interplay, and all the extra safety things that we need to consider—they allowed us to figure out things a little bit earlier and [give us] a broader perspective.

“The key thing is that when you’re working on something that’s really hard, I think the whole expectation is that you’re going to fail. So we try to fail as many times as we can early on. So when we’re getting closer to an actual demonstration, we’re pretty confident that at that point, we’ve talked to the right people, everyone’s on board, and we’re going to have a safe, larger test campaign.

“It’s always better to fail earlier on and learn as much as you can.”

— Joe Connolly, Deputy for Electrified Aircraft Propulsion Integration, Glenn Research Center

Image Credit: NASA / Jef Janis
Interviewer: NASA / Thalia Patrinos

Check out some of our other Faces of NASA.

View the full article

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By NASA
      The National Weather Service in Huntsville hosted a visit by the NWS Office of Science and Technology Integration. OSTI is the main office within the NWS that manages and plans research to operations projects for the NWS and the integration of technology across NWS field offices. The visit by OSTI leadership and management started with discussions with NWS Huntsville and highlighted an afternoon session to learn more about SPoRT, R2O projects, and partnerships within the NWS. OSTI values the efforts of SPoRT in transitioning NASA research to NWS offices and plans to continue collaborative discussions and knowledge sharing on R2O/O2R and SPoRT products that have been successfully integrated into NWS operations.
      View the full article
    • By NASA
      As part of his new role as JPL’s chief scientist, Jonathan Lunine has also been appointed professor of planetary science with the Division of Geological and Planetary Science at Caltech.NASA/JPL-Caltech In his new role, his leadership will be critical in fostering an environment of scientific innovation and excellence, ensuring that JPL remains at the forefront of discovery.
      Distinguished planetary scientist and astrophysicist Jonathan I. Lunine has been appointed chief scientist of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. He will officially assume his role Aug. 16.
      As chief scientist, Lunine will guide the laboratory’s scientific research and development efforts, drive innovation across JPL’s missions and programs, and enhance collaborations with NASA Headquarters, NASA centers, Caltech, academia, the science community, government agencies, and industry partners. In addition, he will oversee the formulation of JPL’s scientific policies and priorities and guide the integrity of missions that JPL manages for NASA.
      “I’m elated that Jonathan is joining JPL,” said Laurie Leshin, director of JPL. “As chief scientist, he will play a critical role in fostering innovation and excellence, ensuring that JPL remains at the forefront of scientific discovery and innovation as we dare mighty things together.”
      Lunine currently serves as the David C. Duncan Professor in the Physical Sciences and chair of the Department of Astronomy at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. A Caltech alumnus, he has performed pioneering research on the formation and evolution of planetary systems, the nature of planetary interiors and atmospheres, and where environments suited for life might exist in the solar system and beyond. His deep expertise will help JPL continue to seek answers to fundamental questions that crosscut the diverse science portfolio of the laboratory.
      “My first experience working with scientists and engineers at JPL was over 40 years ago as a Caltech graduate student,” said Lunine. “From that time to the present, it has been clear to me that no other institution matches its combination of scientific breadth and engineering capability. JPL’s portfolio of missions and research projects across the gamut — from our home planet to the solar system, heliosphere, and universe beyond — is an extraordinary resource to the nation. I am thrilled to be able to play a leadership role on the science side of this remarkable institution.”
      Lunine has collaborated with JPL on numerous missions. He was a guest investigator for the ultraviolet spectrometer on NASA’s Voyager 2 Neptune encounter and an interdisciplinary scientist on the Cassini/Huygens mission, and he is co-investigator on the agency’s Juno mission to Jupiter as well as for the MISE (Mapping Imaging Spectrometer for Europa) instrument on NASA’s Europa Clipper mission. Lunine is also a member of the gravity science team for Europa Clipper and the Gravity & Geophysics of Jupiter and Galilean Moons gravity experiment on the ESA (European Space Agency) JUICE (Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer) mission.
      In addition, he served on the science working group as an interdisciplinary scientist for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope and has contributed to concept studies for solar system and exoplanet characterization missions. A member of the National Academy of Sciences, he has chaired or co-chaired numerous advisory and strategic planning committees for the Academy, NASA, and the National Science Foundation.
      As part of his new role, Lunine has also been appointed professor of planetary science with the Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences at Caltech.
      “Jonathan will bring a tremendous amount of experience in planetary science to the Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences and the broader Caltech community,” said John Grotzinger, chair of the Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences at Caltech. “He has worked on a remarkably diverse set of science questions spanning the solar system and extending to exoplanets. We are thrilled to have him join our faculty.” A division of Caltech in Pasadena, California, JPL began in 1936 and ultimately built and helped launch America’s first satellite, Explorer 1, in 1958. By the end of that year, Congress established NASA and JPL became a part of the agency. Since then, JPL has managed such historic missions as Voyager, Galileo, Cassini, the Mars Exploration Rover program, the Perseverance Mars rover, and many more.
      News Media Contact
      Veronica McGregor / Matthew Segal
      Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
      818-354-9452 / 818-354-8307
      veronica.c.mcgregor@jpl.nasa.gov / matthew.j.segal@jpl.nasa.gov
      2024-078
      Details
      Last Updated Jun 06, 2024 Related Terms
      Jet Propulsion Laboratory Explore More
      2 min read New Energy Source Powers Subsea Robots Indefinitely
      Power modules driven by ocean temperatures save money, reduce pollution
      Article 2 days ago 5 min read Twin NASA Satellites Ready to Help Gauge Earth’s Energy Balance
      Article 1 week ago 6 min read NASA to Measure Moonquakes With Help From InSight Mars Mission
      Article 1 week ago View the full article
    • By NASA
      “I had the privilege of being the very first project manager for [the] Near Space Network (NSN), and in my current role as deputy program manager for [the] Exploration and Space Communications Division, it is still in my portfolio. NSN is one of the [agency’s two] communication and navigation networks. 
      “When we see the volume and the variety of NASA, other agency, and commercial missions supported by the network, and the science being achieved, and the exploration being enabled — when you leave for the day, you feel accomplished that you contributed [to the] agency’s goal. You contributed toward [the] nation’s priorities, such as cislunar [exploration], and then you helped humankind by enabling the science and exploration.
      “Without communication, every satellite in this space is a black box. So, just knowing that every single day we are flowing terabytes of data through relay and direct-to-earth services directly to our [missions], enabling the exploration and achieving the science — is a great sense of accomplishment.
      “… Whatever role you are in, as long as you find a way to understand what mission, what goal, what objective you are contributing to, there is no bigger motivator than that.
      “As a software programmer, normally you think that your job is to come in and write some code and solve some discrepancy reports and do the testing — and then you go home.  
      “But in the end, when you see that the program you are writing or fixing is something that controls the satellite that’s observing the sea levels and the sea temperatures or [controls] a capsule that is carrying astronauts, now you know you’re actually contributing to a bigger purpose, a bigger objective.
      “I say that to my team, whenever I have an opportunity. I share with my team that they are enabling science and exploration for dozens of missions being supported by NSN. Initially it just seems like words, but once they start realizing [their contributions] are real, I can tell you those people don’t want to go anywhere. They just feel that sense of accomplishment.”
      —Vir Thanvi, Deputy Program Manager, Exploration and Space Communications Projects Division, NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center
      Image Credit: NASA/Thalia Patrinos
      Interviewer: NASA/Thalia Patrinos
      View the full article
    • By NASA
      “One of my proudest, happiest moments was watching an early-career researcher, who I met first when she was a graduate student conducting research and working on some new, innovative equipment. She was going to give a demonstration to a group of visitors, and as happened with me many times, everything works perfectly until the people show up – and the equipment wouldn’t do anything. So she took a few deep breaths and explained what we would have seen.
      “And then she actually became a NASA Postdoctoral Program fellow. And I watched her scientific growth and her confidence increase, and I watched her research transition through different areas until … she finished her postdoc and she got a fellowship to do some additional work in another institution.
      “And then we were both at a conference one time, and she pulled me over and she said, ‘Melissa, I just got a call,’ and she got this enormous grant … and I realized, ‘She has launched!’ … It was cool to watch the positive things. It was important for people to be there for her, to help her through the difficult times and tell her she could do it and [say], you know, ‘Just give it some more time.’
      “She has become just like a force. She’s become one of the leaders in the astrobiology community, and I got to participate in all of that. And I’m so happy, and I know that there are going to be a ton more people who will follow in her footsteps, and I hope that I can interact with them also.
      “… I’ve just seen such tremendous things happen since I’ve been part of the Astrobiology Program, and that’s why I’m pretty confident we’re going to find life elsewhere, because there are just so many brilliant people working on this.”
      — Melissa Kirven-Brooks, Exobiology Deputy Branch Chief and Future Workforce Lead of the NASA Astrobiology Program, NASA’s Ames Research Center
      Image Credit: NASA / Brandon Torres
      Interviewer: NASA / Michelle Zajac
      View the full article
    • By NASA
      “Don’t be afraid to go after the things that you’re dreaming about that aren’t necessarily possible right now. We do things all the time now that were impossible 10 years ago! Figure out how to make the impossible possible, if it’s what you want to do.
      “One of my cornerstone pinnacles [is], ‘Show up to work [and] life with integrity and intent.’ So, accomplish your goals with integrity, intent, and a mission. Stick to that and have the confidence to do that, and be OK with messing up and failing, and have fun with those things.
      “And if you are not doing something that you love, and you’re not having fun, then think about what those things are and go towards that.”
      — Meghan Everett, International Space Station Program Deputy Chief Scientist, NASA’s Johnson Space Center
      Image Credit: NASA / Josh Valcarcel
      Interviewer: NASA / Michelle Zajac
      View the full article
  • Check out these Videos